Research Paper Guidelines
RESEARCH PAPER INSTRUCTIONS: Research paper due by 7/23/2014 at 11:59PM (90pts)
Your research paper will cover a cultural group of your choice. In your paper touch on topics such as marriage patterns, economy, political organization, gender differences, and religion. This is not an exhaustive list, and if there are other subjects that you find interesting, feel free to include them. However, the topics I listed should definitely be included. Remember that this is a research paper, not an editorial. Some of you may discuss controversial topics in your papers, but you should stick to the facts. Also, make sure that your paper is anthropological; not historical, sociological, or psychological. You will submit your paper in the “Assignments” section under “Research Paper Assignment.”
• Original Research Paper that is at least 4 pages typed, double-spaced, 12 point font, and 1 inch margins. The title page and references page are not included in the page count.
• Utilize original research (from books and journals or other formal, peer reviewed anthropological sources). For your paper you should have a minimum of 3 sources. At least 1 of them needs to be a peer reviewed article.
• Present the research findings in detail.
• MLA citations (see www.mla.com).
o I have uploaded the MLA Style Guide so you can view examples of how to cite. Reference examples begin on page 7 of the guide. Most of you will use example 10 on page 7, which is the one for articles from a journal. Remember to cite articles within the text of your paper and on your works cited page.
o If you do not cite your resources correctly you will lose points.
• Spelling and grammar count. This is very important, as meaning is lost when spelling and grammar are poor.
• If you would like to include maps or pictures in your paper, you can. However, don’t have a picture that takes up half of every page. If they take up an excessive amount of your paper, I will assume you were trying to get out of writing and it will count against your paper length. If you prefer, you can attach them in an appendix.
• Please submit your paper in .doc, .docx, or PDF format. You will submit it in the Assignments section. It is your responsibility to make sure the work is formatted and attached and transmitted properly. Please contact me with any difficulties.
• Due Date = 7/23/2014 at 11:59PM. No papers will be accepted after the due date.
Additional Research Aides: (These may also be of use to you for your research)
• Books on Anthropology
• National Geographic Magazine
• The American Anthropological Association website: http://www.aaanet.org/
• Cultural Survival website: http://www.culturalsurvival.org/
• The Centre for Cross-Cultural Research, http://www.anu.edu.au/culture/
• Human Relations Area Files, http://www.yale.edu/hraf/
• Journal of Cultural Anthropology
• Cultural Dynamics
• Journal of Ethnobiology
• Internet and Library Resources from OFF CAMPUS (Beware of unreviewed, bogus, or self-published research!)
o Go to BCC Library Link and click on ValeNJ/Databases from off campus; Academic Search Premier Ebscohost
o You will need a valid BCC ID; please see the campus Security Office
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]